Water is one of the most important resources in any household. From cooking to consuming for cleaning and sanitation, water is truly essential. Yet this precious resource also causes damage when it comes in contact to certain materials. Water being able to cause rust is a common affair, but some of the non-iron equipment is also not spared. These materials are subjected to limescale on chronic exposure to water.
Limescale is basically a deposition of calcium compounds, usually calcium carbonate on the surface of materials coming in contact with water on a regular basis. The most common places where you can find this are Bathroom and the Kitchen.
- In case of the bathroom, the tiles, floor, faucets and the commode are affected.
- In Kitchen, the sink, utensils, kettles are the common victims.
Thus, these places require regular cleaning services to avoid limescale.
It is not very difficult to get rid of lime scale; even the toughest ones can be cleaned off with a suitable limescale cleaner. There are many readily available cleaners in the market which does the job quite effectively. In case you do not want to spend on a cleaner, you can use ingredients that are available in your house. Basically, any mild acid is sufficient to take down limescale. Citric acid available from lemon, vinegar can effectively remove the deposits.
Here are some ways where you by yourself can get rid of limescale:
Coffee-Makers and Kettles:
- Coffee-Makers and Kettlescome in contact in water every time they are used. For these utensils, you need either a vinegar solution or a cleaning agent available in the market. For making vinegar solution, you need to mix water and vinegar in equal amounts.
- You have to fill the appliance with the cleaner, then turn it on and let it boil, and then let it get soaked till next morning.
- After that, throw away the mixture and rinse it thoroughly with clean water several times before use.
Dishwashers and Washing Machines:
- These can be cleaned with the vinegar solution or with an aftermarket product.
- Take a full cup of the cleaner and keep in the base of the dishwasher or in the detergent container of your washing machine.
- Turn on the Equipment and it will do the job on its own.
Taps and faucets:
- You need a good cleaner for this. Use that cleaner to soak an old cloth and wrap the whole of the material with it.
- Take a cup full of the cleaner and put it in such a way that the tap’s spout is submerged in it.
- Wait for at least an hour then remove everything. In case of tough deposits, a light scrubbing may be required.
- Rinse it off and continue using
Caution– These are biocides and must be used safely.
Limescale is a villain in every household. However, it is easy to get rid of it. You can do it all by yourself or take the help of home cleaning services available nearby if you don’t have the time. Regular cleaning will reduce the amount of deposit.