With the approach of winter, people make sure to bring down their warm clothes from the wardrobe to keep themselves warm. Alike you even the water pipes of your office and house are in need of warmth to keep away from freezing and getting damaged. If you are in need of tips how to protect the pipes in winter, local plumbers UK brings to you certain tips that will help you to meet your pip protection needs. Also, you are going to learn more about how to defrost the frozen pipes.
Here you go with some tips to attain your pipe protection needs:
- Insulate all the pipes– Do ensure that you get all the pipes insulated with good quality snap-on insulation. It is also mandatory to check that the insulation fits perfectly and there are no gaps for air to pass. You can even make use of the duct tape over the insulation joints.
- Heat Pipes– For protection from overheating, you need to wrap the water pipes with quality enriched heat tape. This kind of tapes comes with built-in thermostat.
- Sprinkler system– It is mandatory to close the sprinkler system and slowly drain water from the connected irrigation lines by just blowing compression air.
- Drip Faucets– According to certified plumbers London, it is necessary to drip all the faucets in your kitchen and bathroom to ensure that water doesn’t end up stopping in the pipes.
- Laundry rooms– In case, there are no faucets attached in the laundry room, it is recommended to start the washing machine for some time as it will let the water pass through the pipes and keep them functioning properly.
- Cabinets– Open all the cabinet doors underneath the bath and sinks to allow internal heat to pass in the pipes attached.
- Icemaker– You need to turn on the icemaker in case the pipeline of the ice maker you have is running underground i.e. below the apartment structure.
- Garage– Coming to that of the garage, make sure to shut down the garage door when not in use to prevent the pipeline inside the garage from freezing.
- Basement and Foundation– If there is a crawlspace in your house, it is recommended to cover the foundation. You can make use of caulk or foam for filling the gaps. You may need to close or cover the vents present in the foundation during chilling winter season. Also, close the windows and doors in the basement (exterior) properly to keep the pipes away from freezing.
- External Faucets– For protecting the external faucets, you need to use insulated foam covering. Also, you can stop water supply to these external faucets followed by opening the faucets a while later to ensure no water is left in these pipes.
- Prevent the leaks- Turn off the faucets and the ice maker as summer approaches. Then go ahead with checking the water meter for spotting any unseen leaks causing by snowstorm during winter.
- Use of heat– Last but not the least, certified plumbers opine that for defrosting the pipes, you can make use of a heat lamp or hair dryer.
Share these tips with your friends and family members if you find them useful. Have a safe winter.
You Might Also Like to Read: